I have a user who is creating filters, but when he add's a column to the filter, he is unable to save it so everytime it refreshes the column disapears from his view.
Any ideas?
JIRA 6.1.4
I would suggest looking over the following documentation and issue, since I ran into the same issue, which turned out to be this:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Custom+Field+Column+not+Visible+in+Issue+Navigator
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Custom+Field+Not+Appearing+in+Issue+Navigator+Search+Criteria
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9367
Your user needs to save the filter with a distinct name, then use "options -> Set filter column order" to save the layout.
I can't see the Options button (is this because I'm running 6.1.4?)
I'm really sorry, I meant "tools", with the little cog.
Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Filters- there are some screenshots there along with better written guidance than I can give.
This isn't a learning problem because I can do the same thing on mine and it will save the column layout, but it won't save it for his.
I don't think that's the problem - the report is about not being able to save the column order, not whether the field actually appears or not!
I have the same issue. I have a filter owned by me. I can modify the query definition and save the modified filter. I can add and remove columns, but for some columns, as soon as you refresh the filter (click the "Search for Issues" icon), the added column dissapears from the filter, and so impossible to save the filter with these columns.
I added the columns to "Filter", not to "My Defailts" or "System"
I have the impression adding columns works with 'system' columns, but not for (some type of ???) custom columns. Did not find out yet what kind of columns cause problems.
Hi Nic, thanks for your answer. Indeed, these columns do not have a "global" context. They are only used in 1 project, the filter starts with "Project = XYZ...".
It's nice you call this a "long-standing and frustrating design failure"... I would call it a rather basic high priority DEFECT. Very, very very.. frustrating indeed.
Is this "behaviour" documented somewhere ? Do you know if issues are already registered for this (so I can add my useless vote to them :-)) ?
This could also be that the columns aren't valid for part of your query, so Jira is hiding them. Can you check that fields that are vanishing have a "global" context? They belong to ALL issue types and ALL projects? (Even if they aren't on screens)
This is a long-standing and frustrating design failure in Jira.
Yeah, I'm trying to be nice, avoiding the bad words I really think about it, and call it a "design failure" because I'm not sure it's technically a "defect" (it's designed that way. I reserve my bad words for whoever thought that was a good idea) Watch/comment/vote on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9367
However if you're using Project = XYZ, it's not that problem.
Could you step through exactly what steps you're doing though, as you change the columns? I had a user who was going "add column, click save to return to the filter, click refresh to reload it, then complain that columns were missing" - because he'd not saved the changes to the filter, he was effectively reloading the current copy, which, of course, didn't have his column changes in it. (He needed "add column, click save to return to the filter, click save to save the filter, click refresh to reload it, then not complain that columns were missing" )
I did not only limit the custom field to the particular project, but also to one issue type. When I started the filter with "Project = XYZ AND issuetype = abc...", I was indeed able to add the custom field in the filter output.
I understand now. But we have 500 people using Jira, THEY do not know (and can not know) how exactly the custom fields are defined, and so how they should construct their filters. Very complicated to explain them all the cases.
Thanks anyway for your quick clarification!!! (you should join Atlassian lol)
Thanks for posting this... I saw the same problem and wasn't able to figure out why columns were sometimes saved, but not other times. Once I started referencing the columns in the query (even if I didn't really want to filter by those columns), they persisted. Bad design...
Jason, if you would like to convert your comment to an answer I would vote it up. That's a first working workaround for this issue I have seen. Thanks.
It's not a "design failure" nor a "defect" but a hook to make money. Now, instead of complainnig against JIRA and report incidences, everybody can buy the solution to "Show Saved Filter with Columns" ( https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.ja.jira.plugin.searchrequest).
That addon is by a third party, not Atlassian, and it does NOT address the problem reported in the slightest.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.