So we are able to create issues in JIRA and move them from one state to another (eg from "In Progress" to Awaiting Test to "In Test" etc...).
As the issue progresses from one state to another you must add certain bits of information, eg Due Date? etc... All good.
My problem is that I've taken over this system and have been asked to add a field and make it mandatory only when an issue moves to "Awaiting Test". Call this field "Impact". The team has been told that when their issues are being assigned to "Awaiting Testing" that "Impact" is mandatory and they must complete this field, and supply further information...
This field "Impact" can apply to any project and any issue type that has the step "Awaiting Test".
So what have I done so far to try and resolve this problem?
Under a particular project, I've clicked Project Settings, then selected Fields, then Actions > Edit Fields, clicked on the field configuration and for "Impact" assigned it to a screen:


This works when I move an issue to "Awaiting Test":

and "Impact" appears and is mandatory as expected

However, the problem is that when other issues are created, JIRA is now saying that "Impact" is mandatory, but "Impact" doesn't appear anywhere on the form???!!!:

and thus I have to go back to the Issues View Field Configuration screen and mark the field as Optional (and not Required).
