Quick introduction: I am a Project Manager at a company with more than 3,000 employees around the globe.
At this company, we use one single instance of JIRA 5.2.11. Ultimately, my question is: what is the JIRA instance strategy used by other large companies? Do they also have only one single instance of Jira? Do they group similar projects onto a few different instances of Jira? How do they determine who is allowed to have Global JIRA admin rights? How do they pay for plugins?
If you want to know why I ask this question, it is because using JIRA at my company has frustrated me for three reasons: poor performance, lack of control, and costly plugins.
Poor Performance
I think that having so many users, issues (1.8M), and projects on a single instance causes performance problems. Pinging servers in one location behind several security measures adds to this problem. Rapid boards, updating tickets, and running reports are all very slow. JIRA has not been performing for us at all, and I want to know if there is something that we can do on our end to fix that, or just accept it as a shortcoming on Jira's part.
Lack of Control
Because our HR and Legal teams store sensitive information on our one Jira instance, IT limits the people with global Jira admin rights to just a very few. That means that if we want to add one value to a custom field, we have to fill out a Jira ticket that generally goes unanswered for a day or two and then is resolved within 30 seconds. I would like to have global JIRA admin rights so that I can change custom fields used only by my project, and make workflow changes when I need them instead of having to go through IT.
Costly Plugins
Also, installing new plugins is both a pain and costly. Because the instance is so large, the plugin is usually non-performant. Very few companies test their plugin on a JIRA instance with 3000 active users and 1.8 million issues. Plugins are also expensive because we have to purchase several thousand seats.
I appreciate any and all help you can offer!