I have had a look around the questions and answers but couldn't find an exact match to the issues I'm having.
I'm trying to install Jira 4.4.3 on a basic package Linode cloud server box running Ubuntu server 11.10 with 512MB Ram, 20GB HD space (not sure about processing speeds).
After installing the standalone .bin package I go to the web wizard and from here it starts to go a little wrong. Most of the time I can make it to the end of the wizard (I have tried both with an internal database and external MySQL) right up to the point of suggesting I log in. However sometimes during this process (and 100% of the time when i get to the end) the Jira process seems to crash (or at least it drops off the "top" process list) and whenever I try start jira with ./jira-start.sh the same will eventually happen after a couple of minutes.
I've had a look through the logs in /var/atlassian/applweb116-jira2ication-data/jira/log/*.log and nothing really jumps out at me, just sort of stops. My first instinct was that perhaps I was simply running out of memory but I have tried adjusting the Jira memory heap use and even if I don't do that "tops" shows that Jira never really gets above 70% of memory (there's sweet f all else running during this time).
The next idea I had was that maybe it's something to do with the version of Java as I've seen a few warnings about the version of java shipping with ubuntu (and I beleive java6 was deprecated on ubuntu recently) but even after getting sun-java6-jdk and plugin installed I get the same issue.
Anyway, at the moment I'm at a bit of a loss as to ways for me to find out what the issue is. The logs haven't been very helpful but perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place or even in the wrong logs?
Regards
Hobsie
Edit: So I have managed to get a little further now. I found that my $JAVA_HOME had somehow gotten unset (probably while getting sun-java6-jdk as it doesn't come with ubuntu 11.10) so I fixed that. I can now log in to the server but, again, after a short period of time the server 'crashes' (process disapears).
Last bit of catalina.out looks like this:
2011-11-09 16:30:40,354 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger]
********************************************************************************
JIRA 4.4.3 build: 663 started. You can now access JIRA through your web browser.
********************************************************************************
2011-11-09 16:30:52,829 main INFO [atlassian.jira.scheduler.JiraSchedulerLauncher] Starting the JIRA Scheduler....
2011-11-09 16:30:53,031 main INFO [atlassian.jira.scheduler.JiraSchedulerLauncher] JIRA Scheduler started.
Nov 9, 2011 4:30:55 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Nov 9, 2011 4:30:55 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 83908 ms
2011-11-09 16:31:01,981 QuartzWorker-0 INFO ServiceRunner Backup Service [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Data export completed in 8443ms. Wrote 575 entities to export in memory.
2011-11-09 16:31:02,172 QuartzWorker-0 INFO ServiceRunner Backup Service [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Attempting to save the Active Objects Backup
2011-11-09 16:31:02,858 QuartzWorker-0 INFO ServiceRunner Backup Service [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Finished saving the Active Objects Backup
2011-11-09 16:31:06,040 Modification Check:thread-1 INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger]
___ Modifications ___________________________
Modified Files : jira-application.properties
Removed Files : None