Hi,
I have downloaded JIRA 5.4.2.1 and installed it in my hardware. I have setup a group containing 6 users to the global permission "JIRA Users". According to http://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira, this means I should be using 6 active users counting toward my license. But the license information page indicates 7 active users, and if I add some administrators the number goes up by the same amount.
Clearly, it's counting administrators. Is this normal?
Thanks,
F
Basically, the license count is based on the Global Permissions. Users with any of the following Global Permissions will count towards the license:
You can refer to this documentation from here for further details.
I'd say yes... admins can access the system so they need a licence.
Thanks for the answer. I guess that http://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira, which says:
Licensing fees are quoted per number of 'active users'. An active user in JIRA is by definition any user account in the system with the "JIRA Users" global permission, i.e. anyone who can log in. Unlimited 'anonymous users' are permitted on all licenses.
is a bit misleading, it clearly says only "JIRA Users". We have an admin team that does only admin and have no interest in the projects, so base don the text above I had not counted them when sizing my license. Anyway, thanks again.
Filipe
JIRA Knowledge Base is not an official documentation. On the other hand, JIRA FAQ is directly at atlassian.com and people may refer to it just before buying a license by clicking "View the purchasing FAQ for JIRA" link below the pricing.
The FAQ they only count members of "JIRA Users" global permission. However, JIRA counts anyone that can log in - not only "JIRA Users" but also "JIRA Administrators" and "JIRA System Administrators". (Please don't confuse "groups" with "global permissions", they are different things)
It's not OK the official FAQ says this and JIRA performs that.
Actually, I trust the knowledge base more than FAQs since in many cases the knowledge base answers seems to have more detail than the FAQ. FAQs, in general, looks to me to be more marketing than technical.
The FAQ does also state anyone who can log they would be counted.
Damian's point is well taken though, that a buyer would look more likely at the FAQ. and the FAQ response could be rewritten to be clearer.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.