I have a support project available to the enterprise where the only two groups who can view issues are the Support Admin Group and Reporters. The reason that this security is required is that reporters come from a variety of clients who should not see each other's issues due to client-confidentiality agreements.
The problem is that reporters would like to assign individual users as watchers to a ticket. The only way that I can see to do this is to create unique groups for each project and allow the reporters to change the security level on the ticket. This solution comes with unacceptable side effects: (1) it would be time-consuming and would become quickly inaccurate to maintain separate Sys Admin defined groups from Project Admin defined project membership (challenging), (2) Reporters would be able to view project-related groups across the enterprise (unacceptable).
Is there any other way to satisfy this request that I might be missing? A plug-in? Upgrade to JIRA 4.4 (we are currently running 4.3.4 and are in the process of an upgrade)?
This question is tangentially related to:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13718/reporter-to-see-own-issues-only