I have a project that has issues that take an inordinate amount of time to render themselves in a browser. For example, one issue has 80+ comments with varrying role visibility. When I go to browse the issue, it always takes 50+ seconds to render the issue. When I say render, I mean the browser is 'thinking' while showing a white page. When it's done 'thinking,' the entire issue is presented. I can reproduce this behavior (long load times) on other issues with similar traits--namely issues in the same project with a high number of comments.
This project uses Project Role security for comment visbiilty as well as an Issue Security Scheme limiting overal project visibility. I mention this because I have other projects in JIRA that do not exhibit this behavior. In fact, I'd say the majority of issues load in less than 2s usually.
The JIRA server is beefy (4 procs, 32GB RAM, SAS disks) and physically on the same LAN. I am suspicious of either (a) the project role/issue security setup or (b) the database connectivity. However, I don't want to unfairly point anyone in the wrong direction toward the best answer here. 
Any help/guidance is appreciated! TIA!