Where is the global .gitconfig stored for each OS?
Linux: ~/.gitconfig
Mac: ~/.gitconfig
Windows: ????
Windows will store it in $HOMEDRIVE$HOMEPATH\.gitconfig
Which, depending on how things are mapped will likely be your %USERPROFILE%, or C:\Users\MyLogin\.gitconfig on Windows 7.
C:\Users\MyLogin\.gitconfig on Windows 7.
You can check where Git has it located by using the command below, it will open up the file in your default editor.
git config --global --edit
Windows will store it in %USERPROFILE%\.gitignore
You can check where Git is set to look for the global ignore file with:
git config --get core.excludesfile
You can also set the global ignore with:
git config --global core.excludesfile "%USERPROFILE%\.gitignore"
I don't mean .gitignore but .gitconfig where things like core.autocrlf and similar are stored.
Thanks. Just for completeness: The command-line is the button named `Terminal`. In the windows console its %homedrive%%homepath%.
When executing that I get the following error "error: cannot spawn gitpad: no such file or directory. error: unable to start editor 'gitpad'
Turns out I needed to update the global core.editor (http://stackoverflow.com/a/773973/1366033) using `git config core.editor notepad`
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.