I attempted to build a customer support workflow and a developement workflow on Jira 6.2. I was getting tired of building large monolithic workflows all the time.
The common statuses are open, close and reopen between the workflows. The workflows are in the same workflow schema. The customer workflow has customer issue type. The development workflow has the remaining issue types. I also have a separate screen for the transition for the customer support workflow to the developmernt workflow which contains the issue type field.
The good news is the following message pops up on the transition screen under the issue type
There are no issue types with compatible field configuration and/or workflow associations. The issue type can only be changed by moving this issue.
The word moving is linked the move issue screen.
The bad news is the move issue interface is too complex for the average user.
The move issue interface requires up to 4 steps before the issue can be actually be moved. The average support person may not know how to answer some of those questions. Also the abilty to assign and add a comment is lost when you click through to the move issue interface.
The process is too complex and I am looking to simplify the process to just changing the issue type value.
Is there some way to automate the move step so it is not exposed to the user at all?
I am not opposed to the idea to a plugin but I have limited time, so I am looking for a faster path.
I started looking at script runner but it was not completely clear I could it there either. Since I would need to move first and then pop up another transition screen (assign and comment fields) to finish the transition.
First transition screen coming from the customer workflow
issue types for the receiving workflow
Move thei issue
Second transition(edit) screen coming from the development workflow
assign and comment fields.
Ideally, one screen would be better but not sure that could be done, since the operation occurs across workflows.
I could go back to the monolithic approach, but have we not progressed beyond 2001. :>)