Hi everybody!
It seems, if the outgoing mail in a JIRA instance is disabled, JIRA will write no logging output for the outgoing mail. Is there any way I can achieve this?
My scenario is this: I have a development instance of JIRA running and am doing a weekly synchronization with our main instance, for testing purposes. Obviously, the outgoing email is disabled (on startup, via setenv.sh) for this development instance, otherwise people would receive emails from it, e.g. for their subscribed filters that are transferred in the synchronization.
Now, I want to do some testing on notifications on the development instance. I thought that just enabling the debugging on outgoing mail ("Logging and Profiling" or via "-Dmail.debug=true" on startup) would log the outgoing mail, even if they are not sent. This would be ideal to check what notifications are sent to whom. Apparently, this is not the case. I can see the notification turning up and disappearing in JIRA's mail queue, but no log is written for it.
So, here are my two questions:
- It this on purpose? Or am I doing something wrong? Is the outgoing mail log really only written on connection to the SMTP server, and not on emptying the mail queue?
- Does anybody know a good way to test notifications without actually sending out emails to JIRA users?
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance,
Florian