I simply want to delete a step from an active workflow, but I don't want to end up with a workflow with a new name. I understand from this answer that I have to:
- create a copy of the workflow,
- delete the step in the copy
- create a new workflow scheme using the new workflow
- reassign the project to the new workflow
The problem with this, is that I have to use a new NAME for the workflow (I can't use the original name because it is still active, and I can't de-activate it because it is assigned to a scheme that is active in a project).
I ended up getting what I wanted, but I had to use the following (ridiculously convoluted) process:
- create a new temporary WF Scheme (scheme_temp),
- create a temporary copy of the original WF (WF_copy),
- assign WF_copy to scheme_temp,
- associate the parent Project (only one in my case, thankfully) with scheme_temp, thus deactivating the original scheme & the original WF. (This involves a migration step which requires re-mapping the fields on all existing tickets)
- make a SECOND copy of the WF (WF_copy2),
- delete the step within WF_copy2,
- delete the original WF,
- rename WF_copy2, giving it the name of the original WF (by making yet another copy of the copy)
- Associate the original WF Scheme with the brand new WF
- Re-associate the parent Project with the original WF Scheme (requires the migration step again)
- Delete all copies.
- -- Whew! --
I don't think I'll do that again. If I ever again have to delete a step from a WF, I'll just rename the WF to WF_v1.
Is there any other way?