How to change the resolution field so it follows the status? And also how to I get the Dates field to have a little more information that relates to time tracking?
ticket.PNG
For the resolution, change the workflow so that each transition sets or prompts the user for a transtion, or clears it, as appropriate for the landing status.
The dates area is just a collection of the date fields for the issue. If you're using time tracking, another pael will appear in that column when there's data for it (but it is time-tracking, not transition data)
Is there a way to get rid of the "resolution" field?
You can hide it in the field configuration.
But don't. JIRA Core relies on it as the indicator of whether an issue is open or done with. If you hide it, all the default reporting will show everything as unresolved all the time and you won't get the "this is done" strikethroughs on links.
As Nic says, don't. For the love of all that is holy, just learn how you're supposed to apply Statuses and Resolution.
I'm not sure about this. If I create a transition it creates a button. I have created a field for the resolutions but its not reading my choice. I have three choices Fixed, resolved, workaround. Its not seeing any of these when I select them.
You need to be looking at the built-in system field called Resolution, not adding new fields.
I'm not sure why you are adding transitions either. Look at the existing transitions.
When they go into a status you want to be an "end status" (status like done, cancelled, ended, complete, closed etc), then you need to amend the transition so that it does one of two things:
When a transition is a "reopen" type thing, going from an "end status" to an open one, then it needs the post-function called "set field" which should be configured to set resolution to <none> (you'll see it as "resolution will be cleared" in some places)
So that Resolution field is associated to other projects. How do I set it up so that the resolution field is associated only to my project. And it reads the fields that I want it to read?
One possible answer to your question - let's say Resolution has a ton of values you just don't care about. You only want your users to choose "Closed" or something. Then, what you have to do is set that up in your workflow configuration. If there is only one value, then it will default to that, assuming resolution is one of the fields you have on your Close transition screen (assuming you have one - most people do.)
You can include resolutions or exclude resolutions..See this doc for more info.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/workflow-properties-189949.html
You could also set up, I believe, in your workflow configuration to set certain fields. I do that in my workflows if someone goes from Closed to Open - in that case it's really important to set the Resolution field back to Unresolved None.
To get more information on time-tracking between statuses, you might look at the paid plugin "JIra Enhancer Plugin" or JEP.
I'm not sure that's an answer to the question. The question is about setting the resolution, not limiting what can be chosen. But it's a good follow up if Nick is suffering from an admin being a bit eager with too many resolutions.
Also, it's not "set the resolution to unresolved". As we've already said, it's "clear the resolution". It's important to be precise here because too many people add "unresolved" as a resolution and hence make a complete dog's breakfast of their JIRA installation. Always try to say something like "clear" instead of "set it to"
Interesting. Every JIRA system I've worked with (all in the 6.x range) have had Unresolved as a resolution, and the method to search for open issues was to search for Resolution = Unresolved. Every new issue has its resolution set to Unresolved, and the system knows that this is to be shown without a strikethrough. This experience has been consistent across servers, even with brand new issues types and workflows, which means to me it wasn't a customization.
These were set up by different people initially, not even from the same company. One was a JIRA system we had in house that I inherited, and the other belonged to a consulting firm. But both had "Unresolved" as a resolution.
I just accepted it as a fact of JIRA life. But I guess I've been working with a lot of dog's breakfasts.
No, they didn't have unresolved on the list. But I understand why you're saying it because you are seeing it.
JIRA is coded to display unresolved when the field is empty, and JQL understands unresolved as a key word. Take a look at Admin -> Issues -> Resolution - that's the list of actual resolutions available. In a healthy JIRA, that list will not contain anything resembling "unresolved". When you add the standard "set resolution" post-function, it offers "<none>" at the top of the list, not "unresolved", and it displays it as "clear the resolution". And, if you were to look in the database, the resolution column is empty for issues that JIRA displays as unresolved.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.