As long as I am getting my "big hairy" questions out of the way today, I have one more. I have yet to figure out project-level permissioning for custom tracker schemas or the ability to add a custom field only at the project level.
I believe I understand how this works at the Jira Admin level, and I fear that this is not possible at the project level. I don't necessarily want all PMs across the enterprise to interact with Jira Admin, given the complexity and opportunity for chaos. Ideally, PMs could administer Issue definition specific to their project, adding custom fields to default Issue schemas and creating custom Issue schemas if desired.
Is the only way to do this at the Jira Admin level of permissions? Is there a plug-in for addressing this permissioning need?
If it doesn't exist, I see three options:
(1) Provide training and governance and allow PMs into Jira Admin (not ideal and high risk)
(2) Create a separate Jira instance per client (still requires significant training and heavy maintenance investment)
(3) Create a process for customization requests to global schemas (heavy overhead)
How are others approaching permissions and Issue schema customization who may be using Jira across an enterprise?