I'm experimenting with Confluence with a view to possibly migrating our knowledgebase to it. We have a lot of data including a lot of pages in clear categories, dozens of pages with almost identical designs and content (bar the geographical location they pertain to, etc). All of these examples would benefit greatly from having chunks of their page design and content handled by embeddable template elements.
This is where I seem to have encountered a shortcoming of Confluence: you cannot apparently create embeddable 'templates' (like MediaWiki's sidebar templates, for example) which you can drop into a page, with all pages using it being automatically updated should you later edit the template.
I can see how to create whole-page template designs, which become a 'freestanding' page when you create a new page from them, but I cannot see how I can place a sidebar and other elements into a page template - and have those elements remain dynamically linked to their parent template after you save your edit.
I can also not see how to create a templated page design which remains a template (in terms of layout, sections and headings) with just spaces where specific text or values can be inputted which change the resulting rendered page... Without purchasing commercial plugins.
Am I looking in the wrong place, or have I missed something? (I've read the manual, and done a fair whack of Googling to try and get round this problem, and the solution has not yet revealed itself.)