Hello!
I recently started a new position as a Scrum Master for a new organization. I am inheriting a Jira instance where no one on the team had much experience administering Jira before my arrival.
One of the first configurations I made was adding a workflow automation to burndown Story Points at a specific point in the workflow. This automation occurs on the 3rd to final step of the workflow (the Tech Lead communicated to me that that's the status where we want to show the burndown action).
It was then communicated to me that, when looking at completed Issues on the Sprint Board, that the team does not like to have the Story Points showing 0 on the tickets, because they like to get a high level understanding of the original Story Points of completed Issues in order to understand the level of effort of work put in.
My initial thinking was that not burning down Story Points would mean that I would not be logging Sprint velocity numbers, and would have no burndown chart to reference. After some testing I found that when Issues arrive in the FINAL "Completed" status of the workflow that the "burndown" action does occur, even when the Story Points aren't actually burned down to 0. The "burndown" action is captured in the Sprint burndown report when a ticket arrives to the final "Completed" workflow status.
First reaction is that this is news to me, that ticket Story Points get marked as "burned down" when they are completed in the workflow (and not actually burned down to 0). However, does anyone know how I could have this "burndown" action occur on the 3rd to last step of the workflow?