I have a 100 user JIRA v4.4.4 with 15000 issues - with only 4 issues that have been voted for. Before disabling the voting system in order to simplify the system for users I would like to consider whether there are any interesting ways in which voting can be used that I might have overlooked.
So, is Voting no more complex than "issues get voted for and then you can rank by popularity (and perform JQL queries)" or are there additional tricks or uses?
I think that one consideration in a 100 user system is that even if people do start voting then one would end up with a very flat profile (not much difference between the most and least popular) and thus not much actual utility.
Thanks to reading other answers I am aware of the defect that affects activity streams when voting is disabled so I am in no hurry to implement any changes until after upgrading to v5.0.