Our company has far too many JIRA full administrators, and this has been the source of lots of problems in the past (particularly with shared schemes, permissions, etc.). I've long been interested in a way to give my users rights to do higher level administrative tasks within certain projects that they are responsible for without giving them full administrative rights to the JIRA administrators group. In the past I have saved time by doing this with heavy warnings to them, but I'm hoping there is a better way.
I'm pretty well versed with setting permissions for projects as I do it regularly, but how could I expose the right to a user to do things like renaming fields without giving them full administrative control? In my mind it's impossible, but only because I haven't found a way to do it myself in the past.
As you can tell, I really want to contain any harm they might cause from a mistake to their own project, and not cascade to all JIRA projects. Often I help them with these tasks myself, but I believe in empowering our users where it makes sense.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!