Hello @[deleted]
Welcome to the Atlassian community.
Is the month always 3 letters and the year always 4 numbers in the Epic?
Referencing the documentation for Smart Values for date and time fields:
https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-date-and-time/
...at the bottom of the table of built in formats is a link to another document for additional formatting options.
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/format/DateTimeFormatter.html
Using that information you can extract the three-letter month code and 4-digit year code for the current date thus:
3-letter month code: {{now.format("MMM")}}
4-digit year: {{now.format("yyyy")}}
In your Automation Rule where you create the task you could do the following.
Add a Lookup Issues action to search for an Epic where the Epic Name contains the above values:
JQL:
issuetype=Epic and 'Epic Name'~'{{now.format("MMM")}}' and 'Epic Name'~'{{now.format("yyyy")}}'
Add a Condition to confirm that you got exactly one issue from that lookup:
Add an Edit action to set the Parent field from the issue key of the issue in the lookup results:
Hi Trudy, thank you so much for your detailed reply.
The problem is, I cannot find the 'Lookup Issues' action, I believe it is not available for the Jira version I am using. Is there any workaround that I can try instead of the Lookup Issues action? I see that 'JQL condition' is available under Conditions, can I create something similar with this option?
The problem is, I cannot find the 'Lookup Issues' action, I believe it is not available for the Jira version I am using.
Are you using Jira Server, Jira Data Center, or Jira Cloud?
If you are using one of the first two, there will be version information displayed at the bottom of some screens, like Dashboard screens, and under the Help option in the About Jira pop-up. What version are you using?
Are you a Jira Administrator? It would be helpful to know what version of the Automation plugin you are using. That can be found from the Settings > Manage Apps screen.
When we know the version of Jira and Automation that you are using, then we can look to see what functions are available.
I am using Jira Software Data Center and Server v9.4.9.
And what version of Automation are you using? That information can be obtained by a Jira Admin.
To find that information the admin would click on the gear icon next to their avatar, select Manage Apps, click Manage Apps again in the panel on the left, find the Automation for Jira app in the list, and expand the entry to get the installed version information.
I cannot provide screenshot unfortunately. When I am searching for Lookup I get the following "No matching rule components".
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.