If I create an issue, then edit it to change the description, it gets marked as resolved, and from then on, is shown with the issue name in strikeout font. The only way to get it back is to change the task to "Done", and then "Reopen" it, thereby clearing the resolution field by the workflow.
The simple solution is to make sure the Edit Issue screen is always in a custom view, and Resolution is not shown. However, I have my custom edit issue view set up to only display the basic data that I mostly change. If I want to change something else, then I use the "Configure Fields" button to show all fields, and make my change in the full dataset. Problem is, if the Resolution field is shown, then it has a mandatory value, and "Unresolved" is not one of the options. So, to edit any fields without also applying a resolution, I have to manually configure the custom fields. I can't just select all fields and change the ones I want, and leave custom fields setup with my nice simple dataset.
I have searched and found a few questions like this, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. There doesn't seem to be a way to stop the Resolution from taking on it's mandatory default when other fields are editing, and Atlassian seem reluctant to allow "Unresolved" as a manually set option, even though all issues are created in this state, and all I want to do is leave it there while I change other data. I can remove the Resolution from the default edit issue screen. Is this the best solution, removing my ability to edit the Resolution altogether, and leave it to the workflow to set the resolution?