I am running Confluence on Ubuntu Linux 14.10 and its working fine.
Confluence is running as a separate user called "confluence" and a corresponding group.
I have one folder for Confluence installation:
/usr/local/confluence/atlassian-confluence-5.7.4
This folder and all its subfolders are owned by the confluence user/group.
I have one folder for Confluence home:
/var/lib/confluence
This folder and all its subfolders are also owned by confluence user/group. This Confluence home folder is also home folder for the "confluence" user.
My questions:
1) What user should own Confluence installation folder?
2) What user should own Confluence home folder?
3) What should be the permissions on Confluence installation folder and subfolder/files?
4) What should be the permissions on Confluence home folder and subfolder/files?
I have not managed to find any detailed information on this, and I guess there are some security recommendations here? I tried e.g. to change owner of Confluence home folder to root, but then the site did not work (it was possible to start) - even if contents/permissions/owners of the contents of home folder was unchanged.
Any advice for a secure site?