Mistake 14
Here’s a recent one that I’m not proud of. I was helping a client delete unneeded custom fields from their Jira Cloud application. We followed my usual custom field clean-up procedure which is:
Step 1: Audit
-
Make a list of all fields
-
Note whether they are:
-
Created by Jira
-
Created by an app
-
Created by an admin
-
For fields created by an admin, determine field usage. Check the following locations:
Step 2: Backup
-
Take a snapshot, export, or database backup (for restoration purposes)
-
Take a screenshot backup (for informational purposes)
Step 3: Move Data
Step 4: Final Steps
I thought I had checked all workflow transitions, but evidently I missed one. Specifically, I missed a post function in the initial “create” action.

A sub-task workflow had a post function that automatically copied a field value in parent issues down to child issues.

When we removed the custom field, we broke the workflow and the ability to create sub-tasks!
Tip: When checking workflows for embedded behaviors, don’t just look at the settings in Jira. Always download workflows in XML format. Had I reviewed the XML, I wouldn’t have missed the post function hiding in the “create” action.
Back to intro and mistakes list