Hi there,
I was trying to do a backup of our installation via /admin/backup.action - in order to migrate it to a new server, and a newer version.
We're currently still on 2.10.2 (ouch), and I was hoping to upgrade to 4.2.12.
Back in 2009, I'd made a similar backup/update procedure, and in my notes, it looks like the backup took about 20 minutes to go through. Now, granted, we have a lot more content, but
With an Xmx of 764m, backup ran out of memory after 30 minutes
With an Xmx of 1536m, it ran out of memory after an hour.
... both with Archive to backups folder and without Backup attachments.
Also note that I disabled our ApacheHTTPD proxy which normally sits in front of Confluence, and restarted the instance before attempting a backup, so I'm pretty confident there wasn't anything else going on at the time.
Of course, I could keep on increasing it until it works, but that means the instance needs to be down the whole time, and since it's currently running on the same server as other apps, these other apps might be impacted if I increase the Xmx for Confluence further.
So I was wondering if
you could help in finding out how long it could take, and how much memory I'd need. If I know in advance it'll take 4gb and 4 hours, whatever, I can make that happen. But I wouldn't want to have yet another OOM exception after 4 hours at staring at my browser.
there is a way to do such a backup without having the webapp up. If you guys had a standalone app that could do just that, I'm pretty sure it'd help in many ways - I could run it off a different server, for one, and wouldn't have to keep my browser opened for it to finish (so I'd run it in a screen session on the server)
Another quick question - let me know if you'd rather me open a different issue for this:
We'll be using the standalone bundle from now on - we do however have standard init.d script that launch Tomcat instances. I was wondering if you could confirm that it's safe, and that start-confluence.sh merely delegates to startup.sh ?