Has anyone set up a retrospective board in Jira without a plugin?We are moving to cloud soon, but am wanting to get this set up in our current Jira instance.
Curious on how you structured this?
Hello @Jason Chayer
Scrum template wouldn't really be suitable since it is focused on starting and ending the sprints.
I would go with a Kanban board where you can create columns like: What went good, What went wrong, What we can improve, Questions. For each of these columns there would be statuses that would be called similar to the columns (no transitions added).
For Action items, I would link Confluence to that specific project, where I can reference it on the next retrospective
For the next retrospective, I would create a new board where I would reference everything from the previous retrospective and also add new things to the new retrospective.
Hi @Jason Chayer
I recommend not using Jira to create a retrospective "board". It will likely become too limiting as the team both evolves its retrospective methods and encounters situations which just do not "fit" your board constraints. (e.g., a just-in-time RCA versus a retro at the end of a sprint)
Instead, consider how your team works today to decide what might support them:
And when the team feels a need to track work for retrospective findings / experiments, use Jira issues on your current delivery board to support that.
Kind regards,Bill
@Nikola Perisic - thanks for the feedback. So, I assume I should create a new project for this? The reason I ask is because of the status types, no transitions, etc...
@Jason Chayer Well, not necesserarly. You can create a new Kanban board within your project, you just select the Create board -> Kanban Board -> Choose your existing project
@Nikola Perisic - that I understand. But, and I may be thinking about this incorrectly, won't the board take on whatever statuses the project already contains?I do not want to add additional statuses to the existing project. I would think that would just muddy up the project.
@Bill Sheboy - I do like the idea of not having it in Jira. However, what is enticing, is that I can create Jira issues off of the retrospective meetings and link it back to the retrospective task if need be.
If this is done, I can then add it to a future retro meeting for follow up and have that information linked there.
Yes, and...several of the whiteboarding tools have integration for Jira, to create items from the board, link them, etc. For example, Miro boards can do this, and they are very helpful for retros, story mapping, RCAs, etc.
Disclaimer: I do not work for Atlassian, Miro, or any addon vendor. I'm just another customer making a suggestion based on my experiences :^)
@Bill Sheboy - I appreciate that. I will take a look at Miro or other white boarding tools.Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi @Jason Chayer,
I would say it completely depends on the way you conduct retros. If you retro failed metrics and analyze each issue separately, then I would suggest you review the app Multi-team Scrum Metrics & Retrospective I have developed. It allows you to conduct in-place retrospectives on nine pre-built metrics and any custom JQL metrics you construct. Additionally, you can aggregate retrospective results to identify the top reasons for failing metrics. This can be done for sprints, months, quarters, half-years, or years.
Best regards,Alexey
I recently created this Jira app: Better Retros in Jira if you're still looking for a retro solution.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I always love to chat about anything agile/development related!
Joe
Hi all! I understand you are looking for a solution without using an add-on. But let me suggest our add-on Agile Retrospectives for Jira, since we were also looking for such solution about 6 years ago, and couldn't find something that fit our needs, we got to work on building our own, and have been improving it ever since. By being seamlessly integrated to Jira, it's a lot easier easier for teams to track, discuss, and act on feedback.
This add-on centralizes retrospective insights within the Jira ecosystem, providing visibility and accountability across distributed teams. Key features include customizable templates, easy action item tracking, and automated reminders, all designed to streamline the retrospective process. It is super easy to see previous sessions history, and a dashboard with all the resulting action items. You can filter them by user, wether they are marked as done, or not, and many more features that users have asked for during the years. Check it out! And reach out to me, I will be providing a code to extend your trial or provide an additional discount on the annual version for any member of the Atlassian community. luis.ortiz@catapultlabs.com
@Nikola Perisic
@Jason Chayer
@Bill Sheboy
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.