I am a Software Developer/Manager working for an engineering firm that manufactures hardware and does only a small amount of in-house software... until now.
I've been using Jira mostly as a database for bug tracking and a little organizing. I am not the PM nor does our PM pay much attention to the software effort... until now.
The PM recently asked me to provide the status of the current software heavy project in terms of Stories and Points (this request actually came from the customer. He actually has no clue of what he's asking). And as you may have guessed, I haven't been using Jira to create Stories, assign Points, create/execute Sprints and follow any formalized workflow.
I was hoping to retro-actively create a set of cards (Epics, Stories and Tasks) then fill in the story points, estimates and remaining time to bring my project to a state where I can generate some kind of useful report. I am not having much luck. The reports seem to require an actual data set having historical sprints and real progress.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring my Jira project to the next level?