The more I try to work with Opsgenie, the less I feel like it's viable for... anything. I'm in the unfortunate position of being the only person at my company with any knowledge at all on the platform, but I have no training on it and I don't have anyone to turn to for guidance. The requirements for this project seem well aligned with what Opsgenie is capable of, but figuring out how to configure the system to meet those requirements has been extremely difficult, so I'm beginning to wonder if we're actually using the wrong tool for the job.
Here's the use case:
- A custom app was developed that sends alerts to Opsgenie via the API
- These alerts contain fairly simple data providing context on potential issues (Source environment, physical location, error details, etc.)
- We take the data from these alerts and pass them to JSM, relying on deduplication to automatically close issues. The majority of the time, these incoming alerts resolve themselves and need no intervention
- This was one of the first roadblocks, we wanted to have JSM tickets created only after a given alert had been received more than X times (these alerts come in at regular intervals). There was no apparent way to do this without overly complicated workarounds, so we switched to having every alert create a JSM ticket and then leverage SLAs as a more simple workaround
- Using the data passed from Opsgenie to JSM, we should be able to run automations that selectively assign and notify different groups
Now for the current, and potentially final, roadblock. Data that is being passed as extra properties into the Opsgenie API does not seem to be mappable to any particular field in JSM. I cannot find any solid answer on whether or not this can be done or if it's even something that Opsgenie was designed for, but I just need something like the following:
- An alert is created, containing {{extraPropertyX}} and other extra properties, via the API integration
- This alert in turn creates a ticket in JSM, with this data in a specific field, for example the Summary: {{extraPropertyX}} - {{message}}
In reviewing documentation and community questions I can't seem to find a straight answer as to how the above can be accomplished, if at all. On top of that I also don't see any way of passing anything beyond the default custom fields to JSM. It's beginning to feel like a webhook automation in JSM would do a better job.
Is there anyone that can help me with these questions or point me to someone that can?