I see that in Confluence 8.0 you moved to Apache Struts 2.
Is Confluence vulnerable to this RCE and do you have a mitigation until you release a patch?
https://www.cisa.gov/news-events/alerts/2023/12/12/apache-software-foundation-updates-struts-2
https://www.akamai.com/blog/security-research/apache-struts-cve-exploitation-attempts
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-50164
Confluence moves to Struts 2 https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/struts-2-upgrade-1155473773.html
See here for move to Struts 2 https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/struts-2-upgrade-1155473773.html
The affected version appears to be installed in the latest Confluence 8.4.14.
# find / -name \*struts*.jar
/opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/com.atlassian.struts2_struts-compat-6.2.0.jar
/opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/com.atlassian.struts2_struts-support-3.0.1.jar
/opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/org.apache.struts_struts2-core-6.3.0-atlassian-8.jar
/opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/org.apache.struts_struts2-velocity-plugin-6.3.0-atlassian-8.jar
Not trying to tell that org.apache.struts_struts2-core-6.3.0-atlassian-8 includes a fix to CVE-2023-50164
But org.apache.struts_struts2-core-6.3.0-atlassian-8 is different to pure org.apache.struts_struts2-core-6.3.0
So, I guess only Atlassian team could confirm that
Alex
https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/blog/prisma-cloud/cve-2023-50164-custom-rules/
More details.
Would be nice to see a public indication from Atlassian that they have confirmed Confluence is not vulnerable to this.
They may have added some custom things to it. But that was released before this vulnerability was announced. So, I'm not super confident this has been patched.
There may be some other reason why it does not impact Confluence though.
Atlassian could confirm it. Or some other organization that has tried the Proof of Concept (PoC) against it.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it in their next patch cycle Jan 4-6 ish.
Agreed.
I'm annoyed with Confluence and CVE-2023-50164.
I asked Atlassian support to confirm whether CVE-2023-50164 affects to Confluence 8.7.1. The answer is: CVE-2023-50164 doesn't affect to Confluence 8.7.1.
However, there is no detail information and official statement about CVE-2023-50164 by Atlassian so far. Hence, it's difficult for me to explain this to Information Security dept.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.