There are multiple labels created by multiple users in my JIRA server instance. To ensure that labels continue to stay meaningful, I would like to restrict creation of new labels to a limited number of users. How do I ensure this?
I have the same problem with my users.
I know that the ability to create new label is given to all users that have "edit issue" rights.
If someone can give a better solution it is really appreciate also by me...
You can't do this. The whole point of labels is that they allow users to add whatever they need.
@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] can you suggest an alternative tool to use? As the way you can filter topics by labels is very useful, but when you open the editing rights to all users it can quickly become messy
Swap to a select list. That way your admins control the available options and the users can't add their own.
Thanks, is there a way to move an existing label to a select list or is it a manual process?
Manual I'm afraid, but you can at least use bulk edit to speed it up and deal with many issues at a time
No @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], the point of labels is to be able to categorise issues, and in the interests of data quality, it's entirely reasonable that you'd want to restrict users to a pre-agreed choice of labels, otherwise you quickly end up with several versions and/or (mis-)spellings of the same thing, making reporting/filtering difficult.
Your suggestion to use a multi-select list would work just fine for a small set of options, but become cumbersome as the number increased, and therefore I'd still like to see the ability to restrict creating labels to specific roles.
No. That is not what they are designed for. As I said already, they're designed to allow users to define their own categories. That's the whole point of them.
For your data quality - use a (multi-)select, that's what they are for. Set up a simple process to get new options added by your admins (I once set up a really simple project to handle it with a bit of scripting)
Which is different to how pretty much every other label/tag/categorisation solution I've come across works.
If the available list of options is easily polluted (and from what you're suggesting this is actually encouraged) then it quickly becomes useless for reporting/filtering, certainly at an organisational level, and therefore isn't fit for purpose. If this was by design, then it really does need a rethink.
As I say, the multi-select list or set of checkboxes approach just isn't effective for anything beyond a small handful of options, as large lists aren't presented well on the page, whereas labels take up very little screen real estate regardless of how many options are available.
I really do think providing an option to prevent users creating their own labels makes a lot of sense.
Again, no, labels are designed to work like that. Select lists are for non-user-definable items. It doesn't need a re-think, it needs users to use it as intended and think before they pollute the lists.
I've just started a small project that is going to grow. I already have user label pollution and the multi-select list is a non-starter because of its cumbersome interface. I need the ability to limit label creation to a few users otherwise the label field becomes pretty much a garbage dump in just a few days.
We need this too. Someone should fire nic.
I'd love someone from Atlassian to explain a use case of how to get around our issue rather then explain that "labels are not meant for that...
We have 100s of enemy types. Each enemy type has different tasks associated with it. E.g. Animation, rigging, sound, fx...
Sometimes an animation will be associated with multiple enemy types. E.g. a "Wolf" and a "Dog".
We'd LOVE to restrict labels so we could use them for enemy types and then use lists for task type. So Animation : Dog, Wolf
But to do the above we'd need to be able to restrict labels.
"We need this too" - just tells me you have not grasped what has been said before. There is a clear solution in the discussion already. I'm afraid your comment does not help me understand why that (or using labels as intended) does not work for you.
As for someone should fire me - I suspect you've missed another point, in that I'm not an Atlassian. I work for a partner who hired me because they think I'm good at this stuff, and keep me because I'm still improving at it.
Sorry Nic, I should not have publicly attacked you but I really don't think you have listened to the people in this thread.
Labels as implemented are a garbage dumb in a medium to large project. They almost instantly become impossible to manage and are 100% useless.
If Atlassian wants labels to be "user added" they should exist on ONLY the account level. So my labels are mine, yours are yours, etc... Admins should also be able to add cross user labels that exist for the entire project. Labels are not well designed as is and cause more problems then they solve.
My company would also benefit from being able to restrict the creation of labels...
Use a multi-select instead.
And Nic, as we said before, multi-select field is not user friendly. You keep ignoring every post that says that.
You've not read what I said about them being clumsy when you have large numbers of options (which is generally a bad idea anyway)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.