I have been migrating all of our Atlassian Apps (JIRA, Confluence, F/C, Stash, Bamboo) to an Apache httpd front end . When you visit the supported platform page for any of the applications it only references Apache Tomcat versions. I have done a ton of research on these configurations over the last couple of months and will post it somewhere when I get it compiled. I will leave the critism of this particular documentation to the comments that are already posted on some of these pages. To say the least it is very confusing for some of us administrators who are not experts in this area.
I use a signed CA that is a wildcard cert so I can in theory have two virtual hosts running off a single Apache instance. (Apache server has a dedicated server and application servers are running on their own specific servers.) Using mod_proxy configuration & SSL)
This works on Apache 2.4 but JIRA throws a ton of errors and other issues present themselves.
On 2.2.x it uses the first virtual host and ignores the second after startup is complete.
I really don't have an issue as we have already come up with a solution that works but it would be nice to have at least a recommended version for the httpd server to use.