I work for a software company and we are considering Jira as a replacement for our old (rather poor) support system and as a way to bring the various teams together (Development, Testing, Projects and ServiceDesk/Support).
The software seems flexible enough to use for our needs generally but the biggest stumbling block currently is a Customer Details Database of some sort. We have several customer sites and each has several members of staff within it that we may interact with and log tickets for.
At this point we wouldn't need customers to log into Jira themselves, but would need to be able to email them updates and receive emails in to convert to issues - however we wouldn't really want to treat each one as "Users" as this means going from 40 licences to a minimum of 500 instantly and would make Jira less attractive as a proposition.
I've investigated the marketplace and the only plugin I have found is "Tools of the Trade: Contacts Directory" which unfortunately doesn't seem to work on the version I'm trialling currently.
The system wouldn't have to be a full ITSM/CRM solution with a CMDB etc. but we would need a way to log calls against customers/sites and without excessive costs around licenses.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.