When JIRA 5.0 comes out (hopefully any "minute" now) how to perform an upgrade from 5.0 RC2? I guess there is no supported upgrade path from betas and release candidates but hopefully something simple like uninstalling / reinstalling JIRA works? I'm new to JIRA so am not sure how upgrades from RCs work.
I just had a look at the code and there are no database changes between 5.0 RC2 and 5.0, so you should have no problems with the upgrade. Just follow the instructions in http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA.
JIRA 5.0 was released a few hours ago, so why not download it and find out?
There is no upgrade path. RC's are not production ready, it's made quite clear that they are to be used at your own risk. It might work, you may be lucky. RC3 is current...
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/EAP+Releases
EAP Releases are Not Safe— EAP releases are snapshots of the ongoing JIRA development process. As such: While we try to keep these releases stable, they have not undergone the same degree of testing as a full release. Features in development releases may be incomplete, or may change or be removed before the next full release. No Upgrade Path — Because EAP releases represent work in progress, we can not provide a supported upgrade path between EAP releases, or from any EAP to the eventual final release. Thus, any data you store in a JIRA EAP release may not be able to be migrated to a future JIRA release.
Like that no one ever upgraded from one RC to another or from RC to final release? I know it's not *supported* but I will need to attempt it so I'd like to know what to try.
Not sure if doing this for production data is that common. But just give it a whirl and post back if it doesn't work...
We started evaluating JIRA in January and 5.0 had the features that we wanted (mainly better usability). RC2 for most of the other software means "it's pretty much done, only critical bugfixes will happen between now and the final release" so it felt like a good choice. The evaluation went well and now I'm thinking what to do - throw everything away because upgrade from RC2 to Final is "impossible"? Well it's the worst case I was aware of when I've chosen unsupported RC but I hope we will be able to keep our data, although we don't have much of it yet.
I'd do this via an XML backup not an SQL dump I think. It's a reasonable gamble.
Great, thanks, will try in a few day's time.
Worked flawlessly
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.