Hey,
I just exceeded my Stash license and I was clueless why this happened. After some investigation I found out the following scenario:
- I have Stash connected to LDAP and synchronize everything
- I have setup the LDAP User Directory to automatically add users on first login to the internal group: stash-users
- The internal group stash-users is granted Stash User permissions
- When I try to login for the first time with a new user I get the Invalid User error message
- I grant an LDAP group, including the new user, Stash User permissions
- Now I can login with the new user and it is auto-added to the stash-users group
This is a strange catch22 situation in my opinion. The reason I want to have the auto-add function is to automatically add the users logging in to Stash to the licensing scheme via the stash-users group. It is not necessary for all people e.g. in the LDAP engineering group to get a Stash license.
This is how JIRA/Confluence work, you take a license when you login for the first time and are added to the jira-users/confluence-users groups. Why is Stash behaving differently?!
The auto-add function is really great and saves a lot of waiting for enabling accounts at the same time as the number of licenses are kept optimal. Is the only solution here to maintain a separate LDAP group for those that "may" use Stash at some point?
Rgrds,
// Svante