I'm trying to send daily reminders to managers or teams who have pending approvals, but in order to do so I need to use the ${request.details} variable which is only available in the Customer Notifications. Unfortunately we have 30+ request types each of which significantly different custom fields, so the alternative would be to create automation specific to each request type.
My current thought is to create an automation that removes the approvers and re-adds them then loop the transition which, in my testing, successfully kicks off the customer notification. However, when I tried to apply this to a larger group, the approvers were removed and never re-added.
The account running the automation is an admin in the project and a full Jira Administrator, so I dont believe the issue is permissions-based.
Below is the fairly simple automation. "RQM - List of Approvers Level 1" is the custom field name that the workflow uses for approval when the request is in "Approval Level 1" status. The trigger, 2nd, 4th, and 5th steps all work just fine. It's the 3rd step to re-add approvers that is causing problems.

This is the first step that removes the approvers from the field. This works just fine.

This step should re-add the approvers from the Trigger issue (or current issue) and works in my testing, but doesn't work in practice.
