Hey there, I’m struggling with setting up our project structure. I use components to cluster the projects topics into some sort of sub-projects.
Below that we have agreed to use initiatives as a highest level deliverable. An initiative must not have any higher or cross dependencies. An initiative can however be relevant for multiple components/sub-projects.
Below initiatives we have epics and below those all kinds of tasks, bugs, features, etc.. Everything below the initiative level has a one to many attribution, meaning an epic can only have one initiative associated to it. An initiative however can have multiple epics. Same is true for epics and the level below those.
So far so simple an straight forward. The problem we get however is that sometimes we have epics that are relevant to multiple initiatives. Those tasks can‘t be initiatives themselves (in our understanding) because they serve a higher level purpose. However they are not just the foundation for a single initiative but for multiple ones. Think about developing IP as a foundation for sending Emails. It’s fine but I also need the foundation of IP for visiting websites.
So it seems like I want many to many attributions for issues. The problem however is that on the other hand, I don’t really want this… I actually need all levels below initiatives to be one to many because I want to be able to make funding decisions based on initiative. Also I want to be able to track, postpone and cancel those without interfering with other initiatives.
TLDR: I need issues types to have a one to many attribution so that I can track, postpone and fund the highest level deliverables individually. However at the same time I struggle with structuring deliverables that serve multiple purposes.