Hi
Just thought I will share my journey to getting ACP-120 certified.
Background: I have an extensive hands-on experience in Jira having been a project admin for multiple projects and doing some Jira Admin role. But reading the topics, my experience seems to have like 40-50% coverage of the topics for ACP-120, given the level of detail/depth expected from this cert.
Not to be put off. Atlassian exams are very practical.. they expect a real good hands-on experience and one cannot just study their way to success.. which I think is a good thing.. It tests real experience.
I have an Atlassian Standard version to practice topics that I am not familiar with..
Please feel free to follow/comment so we can help each other!
Links:
All the information about this exam
https://university.atlassian.com/student/activity/832603-acp-120-jira-administration-for-cloud-exam
Main Study Material:
Use the Exam success material as a primary content..read again and again and take notes.
ACP-120 Jira Administration for Cloud Exam Success https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/1291934-acp-120-jira-administration-for-cloud-exam-success
Kavitha's Miro Board:
This is my board :-) to make some notes of key points mainly from Exam Success content. It is not comprehensive.. but will be a good for quick revision.
If you need edit access, let me know and I will give temporary edit access so you can make a copy of the board and update it for your purposes.
https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVNVxZtI8=/?share_link_id=233661111653
Atlassian 14 Questions practice test
https://university.atlassian.com/student/activity/853405-acp-120-sample-questions
September update:
Passed the exam on Sep 9th.
Took about 2+ hours to complete 75 questions. Took the exam at the PSI centre.
Studying the Atlassian Success Cloud course and other topics linked from the course and doing the sample tests would greatly help.. Practice hands-on activities with as many topics as you can. This will help you remember the details better and easier.
Any questions/help needed, please feel free to reach out to me.
Thank You All!! All the best!!
================================================================
If you are interested in ACP-520, you can follow me in this thread
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification/ACP-520-Atlassian-Cloud-Organization-Admin-Certification-Journey/td-p/2526292
Aug 9th - Aug 16th - Iteration 1: Went through all topics and sample exams in https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/1291934-acp-120-jira-administration-for-cloud-exam-success. A lot of information to process, went through all the answers in sample questions even when got right.. There is a lot of good stuff in that explanation. You might not remember all the info the first round of reading.. but just go through.
Aug 17th - Went through in detail the section Access, Permissions, Security in https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/1291934-acp-120-jira-administration-for-cloud-exam-success.
Making notes of differences between Company-Managed and Team-Managed project.
Taking time and reading the sample questions in detail.
I tried to take the ACP-120 exam, paid and booked the proctored one, since closest office was few airplane stations away. PSI could not start the exam, then I was ping-ponged back and forth, useless customer service, so far 2 times, once trying to take Azure cert, now Atlassian, so I could not see how much I know or I don't know.
Good luck on your certification journey. Would be good to know if you have a better experience with PCI.
Best regards,
Vlado
Thanks Vlado.
I used PSI for ACP-620 and passed. I had no issues with the software..I have a Mac Book Air which is about 5 years old.
Aug 19-21
Iteration 2: Went through the Sections Notifications and Advanced User Features.
Did well with the sample questions in Advanced User Functions... because, I have good hands-on experience in JQL and Bulk updates.
Not that great with Notifications.
Continuing to take notes of the difference between Company-managed and Team-managed projects.
Kavitha, I am in doubt about the path to take, could you help me please?
Hi Glaucia, Thanks for reaching out. If I were you, I would start with Atlassian Badges and free courses and can move on to the Atlassian Professional certifications. If you don't use Jira at work, I would recommend getting Jira standard and practice a lot before moving to Professional certification.
https://university.atlassian.com/student/catalog/list?category_ids=21580-pro-skills-badges
Thank You
Kavitha
Thank you so much for your reply. I use JIRA daily at work and promote trainings in the company where I work, but I don't have any certifications related to that. Thank you for your support.
Hi @Ally
I have purchased Udemy mock exam. I just started and did 10 questions in the first exam and so far I think it is great. I will be doing the mock exam few times, making notes of what I am going wrong with and then redoing the exam.
https://www.udemy.com/course/jira-administrator-for-cloud-certification-practice-exams/
All the best for your exam!
Thanks!
Thank you @Kavitha Chandrasekaran
Aug 27th - Took the 1st Mock exam from Udemy - good questions very similar to questions from Atlassian Exam Success material- score only 48% :-)
Going through incorrect answers topic by topic and making notes. Will publish in a day or two, an updated sheet on company-managed and team-managed project differences and also some other notes.
The PSI worked pretty okay on my DELL while it was running without interruptions, but once I lost the wifi it was really difficult to get back to the session.Customer service was also very disconnected from the issue, they did not seem to understand the nature of the problem. That being said, after an hour I was able to log back in and finish my exam, and they have paused the clock at least.
Hi @Kavitha Chandrasekaran ,
great discussion you started up here!
I passed the ACP-120 recently and also used the Udemy course to prepare, only to find out that the questions are relevant topic-wise but quite different from the ones you'll get in the exam. Still good to test understanding.
What I did find helpful was to go through the Exam Success course. It addresses the exact topics you'll get in the exam. Since you already have a lot of experience, practice won't be a problem. You still might want to study team-managed projects and their settings a little more if you rarely use them.
Best regards and best of luck!
Hi @Carmen Odimba Congratulations on passing ACP-120.
Thanks for the insight on the exam. I am using the Atlassian Exam Success Course as the primary guide. It is very nicely laid out. Just require few iterations of reading to not miss some important points.
I will play with the team-managed a bit more as I do not use it at work.
Thanks again Carmen!
Awesome thank you I am studying for this
All the best @marcowells. Please feel free to post/share any information you find useful. Thank You
Congratulations for your ACP-120 and Thanks for the detailed explanation Kavitha! Appreciate it
Hi @Kavitha Chandrasekaran
I retried my 2nd attempt but I didn't meet up with the cut-off mark, I'm a bit down but I will want to retry it.
I will proceed to retake the skill builder course from the beginning all over again and get grounded before reattempting the exam.
Also I can start with other pro skill badges to further help me.
Hi @Adeola Lawal
Sorry to hear, but I am sure with some more strategic preparation :-) you will pass next time.
The results will have a breakdown of score by section. Focus on sections that you scored less.
Also focus on sections you scored well but not 100%. Getting some more questions right in these sections you are comfortable with, will give you a buffer for any incorrect questions in sections you are not comfortable with.
All the best!! Keep us posted.
Took the second mock test from Udemy material.. Found it very overwhelming. So planning to stick with the Atlassian Exam Success Material and studying the content again. Exam scheduled for Saturday Sep 9th! Will keep everyone posted! Please do keep sharing your experience to the group!
Studying the Atlassian Success Cloud course and other topics linked from the course and doing the sample tests would greatly help.. Practice hands-on activities with as many topics as you can. This will help you remember better.
Updated list of differences between Company-Managed and Team-Managed projects.These are my notes, but always refer and double check the Atlassian material for accuracy.
Topic
Company-Managed Jira Project
Team-Managed Jira Project
Access, Permissions and Security
Who gives access to projects?
Project admins manage access by adding users and groups to project roles which then work with the project permission scheme (and possibly the issue security scheme, if it exists).
Project admins manage access by adding users and groups to project roles, and they can create their own custom roles.
Creating custom roles in the project
Jira administrators can create, edit, and/or delete project roles according to your organization’s needs.
Project admins can create custom roles
Versions and components
Project admins can manage versions and components
Versions and components do not exist.
Custom fields
Jira admins can create custom fields which can then be used in the company-managed Jira project. Project admins of company-managed project cannot create custom fields
Project admins can create custom fields.
Settings and Configurations
Settings and Configurations are shared across multiple projects
Settings and Configurations are unique to the project and cannot be shared
Permission scheme
Permission granted through permission scheme
Doesn’t have permission scheme. Uses access roles – Open, Limited and Private
Issue security
Called Issue level security
Called Issue restrictions
Can only be applied at Issue Type level not to individual issues
Permissions required to set security
“Set Issue Security” and “Edit Issues” permissions to the appropriate users, to enable them to set and update the Security Level field
“Restrict any issue”
General Project Configurations
Who can create a project?
Only Jira admins can create a Company-Managed project
Any user with the “Create team-managed projects” global permission can go to the Projects dropdown in the main navigation bar and create a team-managed project.
Boards
Can have multiple boards from across multiple projects. More board configuration options.
Can have only one board per project, with issues from that project only. Different and limited board configuration options.
Sub filter
Company managed Kanban has sub filters
Team Managed Kanban doesn’t have sub filters
Notifications
Notification scheme
Notifications for projects are managed by notification schemes, which are shared by projects
Notifications are independent to each team-managed project and is not shared to other projects. Notification schemes are not applicable for team-managed projects
Events that trigger notification
System events
Workflow triggered events and
Custom events
No events tied to workflow post functions, and no custom events can be created.
Default notification
Default Notification Scheme. Email sent for system events to Current Assignee, Reporter and Watchers
By default, notifications are sent to All Watchers, Current Assignee, and Reporter. This can be customized.
Notifications to custom user picker field
Possible
Not possible
Configuring workflows for Issue Types
Sharing workflows?
Workflow schemes can be shared across many projects
Workflows in Team-managed project are managed by Project Admins at issue type level for each project. Workflows cannot be shared.
Transition types
Transition types include
· Create transition
· Global transition
· Common transition
· Self-reflecting transition
Automated Actions
Automated actions include triggers, conditions, validators and post-functions
Automated actions are limited and are called rules.
· Assign an issue to someone
· Update an issue field
· Restrict who can move an issue
· Restrict to when an issue has been through a status
· Restrict to when a field is a specific value
Resolution
Resolution field is used to indicate why an issue is closed. Examples are Done, Won’t Do, and Duplicate. These are managed through transition screens.
The resolution is automatically set to Done (the global resolution) for any status in the Done status category (green) in team-managed project workflows, and new resolutions cannot be added
Transition Screens
Transition screens are available in a company-managed project.
There is no concept of transition screens in a Team-managed project
Issue Types, Fields and Screens
Defining Issue Types
Issue types are defined globally, managed by issue type schemes and mapped to projects.
Issue types can be created by project admins
Congratulations @Kavitha Chandrasekaran Thank you for the excellent post!
Thank You @LynnG
If anyone needs help with preparing for ACP-120, please reach out to me on linkedin. I am currently helping someone online and have content prepared/categorized for easy learning.
Thanks @Kavitha Chandrasekaran I will reach out
dear @Kavitha Chandrasekaran I need your board access,please show me
thanks
Hi @jack You should have view/comment access. I am unable to give team member access, as that will mean an additional license I will need to pay for Miro.
yes I have view/comment access,but I cannot see some topic,like this
@jack Please check now.. All slides should be visible.
Hi Kavitha,
Thanks so much for sharing the info.. but i still have few questions and wanted to know how can i connect with you personally.
Regards,
Raj
Sorry was not watching this thread. Yes please @Nagaraj B N you can connect with me on LinkedIn. It is on my profile.
https://university.atlassian.com/student/activity/853405-acp-120-sample-questions is not working. @Kavitha Chandrasekaran
https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/1291934-acp-120-jira-administration-for-cloud-exam-success . This link is also not working. @Kavitha Chandrasekaran
Thank you @Kavitha Chandrasekaran .
This is really very helpful.
Thanks
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.