Hi All,
I am getting confused.. or perhaps I was confused to start with regarding groups and roles. I am not sure I am seeing the benefit of both at the moment.
Currently we use ClearQuest. Everyone has a 'role' assigned by group(s) when they log in.... and I guess I could do the same using groups in JIRA. However I could also create roles at a project level and assign users that way to pretty much the same result.
Our defects are categorised according to application and application sub-area. These I am thinking represent Projects and Components in JIRA. However these 'projects' dont match with our real live projects so the concept of having a team lead etc for the project in JIRA doesnt seem to make sense. Although we do pull defects into these live projects as we go along. This suggests to me I am best using groups only so that roles are given to individuals across all projects rather than use roles. Am I missing something? Will I loose out buy setting it up this way?
All of that said we are going to roll this out to other sites who will have a distinct set of users and people who tend to work on a single project.. so perhaps thats more suited to roles?
I also have a nag that if at a later date we looked at using Greenhopper instead of our current project management software (v1) then it seems there might be an expectation that the real live projects match those defined in the bug tracking... is that the case? I have also made an assumption that I can selectively pull in bugs to V1 projects from JIRA is that correct viz... this bug to that project in V1
If anyone(s) can help clarrify these troubles it would be brilliant as I am going mad with the possibilities
Nick