I have a request from the business to create a custom field and add over 2,500 pick list options. Is there a way to bulk add this list?
Hi @Kolawole Aderupatan ,
You can use a trick with CSV importer to import 2500 options in a dropdown Field.
Create a spreadsheet with all 2500 option values in a single column, along with Summary of "DELETE THIS".
Save as CSV.
Import CSV in a project, populating custom field with contents of that single column.
Delete all 2500 issues where Summary = "DELETE THIS" and/or delete the project itself.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-bulk-import-custom-field-values-for-certain-types-of-custom-field-827123935.htmlOther option is to use scriptrunner plugin.Hope this will help you !!
Hi @Kolawole Aderupatan
This KB article should be useful to you https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-bulk-add-options-to-custom-fields-via-external-system-import-1115662994.html
I have looked at the article but it is referring to creating issues. What I need to do is just to add pick list to a custom field not creating issues in a project.
Well yea that is going to be one of the drawbacks of the import. You could create a test project and just upload fake issues there. That way you can just delete those issues without any problems and you add your options to the field. @Deepak Jain instructions would be perfect.
The other option is using add-ons like scriptrunner.
Hi Deepak. Thanks. This article helped. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-bulk-import-custom-field-values-for-certain-types-of-custom-field-827123935.html
Yeah. Deepak answer helped. Thanks.
Happy to hear this !!
Hello @Deepak Jain @Kolawole Aderupatan
I have tried this metod (created a custom field with the first value, then tried to bulk import 250 issues from a csv including the column summary and a column for my new custom field).
I get to the "map fields" step and everything seems fine. However, when I try to import I get these warnings and the custom field does not import the additional values:
Do you know what could be happening here?
I was having the same null problem. My mistake was going from Issues>Import instead of Administration > System > External System Import > CSV
i.e.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.