Confluence appears to enjoy adding unnecessary spans within my text. It isn't uncommon for a paragraph to appear like this:
<span style="background-color: transparent;font-size: 10.0pt;line-height: 13.0pt;">This </span> is an example of wh<span style="background-color: transparent;font-size: 10.0pt;line-height: 13.0pt;">at I am </span>seeing. I<span style="background-color: transparent;font-size: 10.0pt;line-height: 13.0pt;"> don't understand this</span>.
I can use the Source Editor to remove code and most of the time, my changes stick. However, sometimes the spans come back even if the paragraph in question wasn't edited.
When the page is published, you can't tell there is anything wonky going on. The trouble lies in exporting the page to a Word document using Scroll Office. Many times these spans will cause text to be dropped from the export, so the Word version ends up printing the paragraph like this:
This at I am don't understand this
I've noticed that cutting and pasting can cause the spans to occur, as can applying the monospace character style or even italics. In other words, the causes seem to be all over the place. I've been editing them out, but now I am at a loss for why they are coming back.
I am using Confluence 4.3.7.