I'm trying to install Confluence on a Mac OS Server with the standalone version - did the same with JIRA and it worked just fine.
However, with Confluence my console outputs
Server startup logs are located in /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/logs/catalina.out
Using CATALINA_BASE: /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /library/java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/contents/home/
Using CLASSPATH: /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.
logout
The logs in the file "catalina.out" state
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
Invalid file name for use with -Xloggc: Filename can only contain the characters [A-Z][a-z][0-9]-_.%[p|t] but it has been /Users/ched/Documents/Atlassian/confluence/confluence-5.6.5/logs/gc-2014-12-23_14:38:21.log
Note %p or %t can only be used once
Initially I had the JRE installed instead of the JDK, so I was getting errors. I now installed the JDK 1.8.0_25. Can anyone please help me out?