Ok, so here will be our hypothetical setup:
We must track a number of institutions, who provide to us a data-dump as a file.
Once we receive the file, we must massage the data, import to a database, and verify the quality of the data. We must do this every quarter for every institution.
We’d like some advice for setting up an iterative tracking system using jira – which will allow us to do a minimal of setup at the start of each quarter-based rotation. Rob (Lead Application Architect)
So I will add that currently we have the setup in JIRA as such, which we have determined is not feasible in an ongoing quarters. (Based on transitioning to this Quarter, this is the 2nd quarter we have utilized JIRA as our tracking system)
*I had it set up so that the department itself was a project (Data Entry) then each quarter was a version. Ie. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. ( I had all the issues/tasks(partners) on each version so that I didn't have to keep inputting data)
*Then each version was broken down into components which are the specific categories to our data received i.e. File Uploads, Manual Data, Training, XML uploads etc.
*Each component then had it broken down into to individual tasks (Partners of which there are more than 70) then broken down further into sub tasks (5-7 each) of each step involved in the workflow (which I have yet to customize) that way we can track the progress in each step and the time that is required to do it. (So we can establish ongoing when we have a team in place the expectations that will be required for completion)
The issue were having is we need to be able to keep the data static(permanent) from each quarter. In the current format of using versions my status of the issues changes from quarter to quarter and removes the information from the previous quarter and replaces it with the quarter working in. So if I closed an issue in Fall and then go work on the same issue in the Winter it changes the info from Fall. I need the information in the fall to remain permanent and not be able to be changed. i.e. duration required to complete etc. (So if we need to review the information 4 quarters from now it will still be there and not replaced with other quarters info)
We need a way to organize the information so that it is just a simple matter of switching instead of re-entering each quarter each component/issue/tasks, as for the first time it took myself a week(newbie/self taught while doing it/not a programmer) to input this information, I need to make this maybe a half day to a day transition as that is not an efficient use of time. Currently I am have to reinputting the information each quarter and that is taking up to a week to do. Any suggestions for organizing JIRA ongoing would be greatly appreciated. (Tina Marie: Data Entry Clerk)
Thanks for everyone help.
Tina Marie (Data Entry Clerk) and Rob (Lead Application Architect)