I have a python script that I am using requests to put an attachment on a ticket. The process works but I cannot figure out how to supply the description of the attachment in the attachment properties.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Russ
Hi @Russ Lilley -
You can't add descriptions to attachment in the Jira web UI, and so unfortunately it looks like you also are unable to add them in the REST API. The docs don't show any description field that can be populated:
Further, even on the on-prem version of Jira (which sure, is probably a different codebase by now), adding descriptions was not supported:
• there is is currently no option to change the filename or add any description to the attachment
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Actually you can add descriptions.
if you go to manage attachments and select edit you enter your description in the field displayed
Here is part of the URL when in edit
https://yuorsite.here/secure/EditAttachment!default.jspa?atl_token=sometokeinfohere&id=2989968&attachmentId=1830705
Huh. There's no descriptions in Jira Cloud, which I was looking at.
But oddly, on my Jira Server (v8.20.8) I don't see an Edit option in Manage Attachments. What version of Jira are you running?
And so yeah, that API article I previously posted is for Server, and it says you can't add Descriptions.
And I found this ancient bug that that doesn't actually seem duplicated by the referenced issue: JRASERVER-2099 - Add descriptions to file attachments
I wonder if maybe you have a third-party add-on that allows you to rename files and add descriptions. Where do you see the Descriptions? Can you show a screenshot?
@Darryl Lee
Here are the screenshots
So interesting. That's only a few versions newer, and I have not seen these two options:
Can you show us what the Manage Attachment screen looks like?
Also, I wonder what Upload Attachments to FTP does.
Looking at the Jira Software 8.2.x release notes, there weren't any changes to Attachments listed between Jira 8.20.8 that we're running and what you have in Jira 8.20.11. So yeah, really odd. I wonder if you might have a custom add-on installed because I've not heard of any that provide any kind of FTP attachment functionality.
Here are screenshots from the manage attachments and the upload attachments to FTP
Hi - sorry for the late response.
This is fascinating. I've never seen this interface in Jira, so I think it must definitely be a custom add-on that you have installed. If you go to your Manage Apps screen, there may be something about an FTP app there.
Would love to hear who developed it, and what the original intent was behind it.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.