Hi community,
I work for a big multinational that is using JIRA (server version). I need to setup a JIRA project for my team. I don't need anything fancy, my basic requirements are:
1. about 25 custom fields for epics, a few of them with a drop down list, a few with checkboxes and a few of them mandatory. Everything available in single tab on edit/create/view screen.
2. simplified JIRA workflow turned on, or alternatively a 10 step workflow with any to any transition model
3. Import issues from legacy JIRA project on different instance (I will prepare loader myself)
4. default issue types, no screen customization beyond what described in point 1, no automations, nothing really besides the custom fields that I need for reporting
In my company, I can't set it up by myself, I need to go through technology support team. They estimated that this work will require 720 manhours of effort from them (they came down from 1080h estimate after some pushback). They will first do it on UAT and then after my approval move it to production.
Now, from my experience working in similarly sized corporations, I was typically, placing a ticket, or calling tech support for such requests and they were done in a few days. Also if I needed to add a few new custom fields to existing project, they were doing it for my while we were on a phone, in a matter of minutes.
I would appreciate if you could comment on this estimate - I'm convinced that it is completely out of touch but maybe I'm missing something? How much effort would it take from your experience?