Hi,
Is there a way in JIRA to administer a records retention policy? For example, all issues that are closed and are older than 6 month should be automatically deleted from the system.
Robert,
An easier way to do this would be to use the JIRA Automation Plugin. You can create the filter as Tiago mentioned, and the Automation tool will run it and delete the issues when you want.
Cheers,Matheus
Hi Robert, I think you can use a Jelly script to do this. We don't have a Jelly tag to delete issues, but here in this other question you can see an example of code to delete an issue. You may to tweak a little the code to fit your requirements.
I hope it helps.
Cheers
OK cool, I am the new Atlassian administrator and have gotten up to speed a bit on Confluence, Stash, and Bamboo, I am still learning JIRA though, looking forward to learning Jelly. I see this link https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Jelly+Tags#JellyTags-EnablingJelly, is this the best place to start? Also I will return to select answer if this works (I have to reboot JIRA to turn Jelly on and that is an after hours operation)
@tiagoHey, now that I have jelly enabled I am a little confiused on how I go and find say:
All closed issues that are over 1 year old.
That is my first and foremote need from there I would like an automatted deletion process by is Jelly or SQL.
Thanks.
Hi Robert, you may use a saved JQL filter to this. In this doc you'll see an example of Jelly script to trigger trasition for specific issues based on a filter (in this case, filter id 11505). We may do something similar to find the issues and delete then afterwards.
OK thanks! I am going to dive into Jelly developement. I am not sure how XML will be a powerful enough language to be able to do the kind of analysis I need, but I will try. In my head I would need to run a JQL filter to find whatever issues that we dinfe as "old", store that list somehow and then run some further filters on them to ensure that we would want to delete them, then after that run a delete on a subset of the original "old" list, and send a report to myself to let me know of what issues were deleted so that if a user complains that their issue has dissappeared I have a record.
It still surprises me that there isn't a default setting to remove old issues built-in, as I would assume most companies would not want to hold on to old issues forever for space/legal/other reasons.
I'm not sure if I quite understood your comment. With the Automation Plugin you should simply need to create the JQL query (something like "Created <= startofMonth(-6) AND resolution IS NOT EMPTY " for issues older than 6 months), and the automation would take care of the rest.
There shouldn't be any need to create custom scripts or develop anything.
Oh wow, I will look into that for sure. Of course I am hoping that there are no more requirements than closed date + 6 months, but I hope I can cover it all with JQL Queries. Thanks!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.