I am systematically making API calls to my Jira Server instance to execute searches, updates, creates, and transitions on issues. I have noticed seemingly random occurrences of connection reset errors.
I have determined the cause of the connection reset is due to the socket not receiving a response from the API call after 5 minutes and then I'm assuming the apache httpClient that I'm using is closing the connection.
The part I need help with is this: on one specific example shown in the log snippet below.
- The API call @ 13:51 is attempting to run a transition on an issue
- Viewing the issue from the Jira frontend, I can see the issue was in fact transitioned successfully with an update time of 1:51PM which coincides with the actual API call time
- But I never receive a response so the connection remains open until the webserver terminates
How can I debug this further? Is there something I am missing here? Just to reiterate, this only happens randomly, 98% of API calls are receiving responses as expected.
2022-11-30 13:48:27 DEBUG c.configuration.ItemWriterConfig - Thread-1 - https://xxx.xxx.xxx/rest/api/2/search
2022-11-30 13:48:27 INFO c.configuration.ItemWriterConfig - Thread-1 - {"fields":{"customfield_16824":"2022-11-28","customfield_16820":"2022-11-29"},"update":{"comment":[{"add":{"body":"Vulnerability fixed per latest scan. Closing the ticket."}}]},"transition":{"id":31}}
2022-11-30 13:48:27 DEBUG c.configuration.ItemWriterConfig - Thread-1 - Jira Close URLhttps://xxx.xxx.xxx/rest/api/2/issue/VM-183563/transitions
...
2022-11-30 13:51:13 INFO c.configuration.ItemWriterConfig - Thread-1 - existingticketstatus for jira ticket:Closedid: VM-183563
2022-11-30 13:51:13 INFO c.configuration.ItemWriterConfig - Thread-1 - {"fields":{"customfield_16824":"2022-11-28","customfield_16804":"Internal:Bluecoat:Socks Server"},"update":{"comment":[{"add":{"body":"Vulnerability matches rules for Informational. Changing status to \"Informational\"."}}]},"transition":{"id":41}}
2022-11-30 13:51:13 DEBUG c.configuration.ItemWriterConfig - Thread-1 - Jira Risk Accept URLhttps://xxx.xxx.xxx/rest/api/2/issue/VM-183563/transitions
...
2022-11-30 13:56:15 ERROR o.s.batch.core.step.AbstractStep - Thread-1 - Encountered an error executing step step in job reportJob
org.springframework.web.client.ResourceAccessException: I/O error on POST request for "https://xxx.xxx.xxx/rest/api/2/issue/VM-183563/transitions": Connection reset; nested exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection reset