I am trying to find a clean way of recording infrastructure details across our various projects. When I say "clean", I mean a single source of truth, displayed in an easy way to view/navigate.
I envisage having a dedicated Infrastructure space, where my network engineers can record details of servers (IP addresses, passwords etc..), and have spaces for individual systems that can lookup the details of the servers they are hosted on.
The obvious solution would appear to be a page properties macro for each server, and a page properties report macro on each project space to lookup the details. I have a couple of issues with this approach, though:
- it requires an individual table for each server, which is expensive on real estate and difficult to navigate
- it does not provide visibility from the infrastructure page of which systems are using which servers
I've trialled doing it the other way; putting page properties macros on each project space and a page properties report macro on the infrastructure space. This solves both the above shortcomings, but means information is duplicated if more than 1 application is using the same server (reasonably common, particularly for dev/test app servers).
Other methods I am experimenting with include using labels and content by label macros.
I'm not sure if I've been very clear with what I'm trying to achieve, but if I have I'd appreciate some ideas, or feedback on how others might have implemented a similar thing.
Cheers,
Simon
EDIT: Should mention, using Confluence 5.4.3