I'm struggling with how to make selection for an extremely long list of multi-select values more user friendly. for example - there are upwards of 600 values, and it would be common to have 40-60 selected. Ideally we'd like to have the ability to select using 2 fields like the available values and selected values from the selection list and the abililty to Add / Remove the the selected list.
There seems to be a method like this within the administration side of JIRA (e.g. for selecting exceptional user groups on the "Comment required on transition" Workflow Validator). I don't see an equivilant in the Data Renderers for Multi-Select.
I tried segmenting the multi-select into a few multi-check box fields, and using the Post Function to Copy field to field to merge the values from the multi-check box fields into the multi-select field. I made sure the first multi-checkbox field was copied into the multi-select field, and the subsequent post functions "added" their multi-checkedbox values into the multi-select field using the Copy
This looked promising, when something was checked in each multi-check box field was non-empty. However the post function failed for any of the multi-check box field that was empty.
I haven't found an easy way to make the post function conditional on a field being non-empty.
Has any one else tried to solve this problem?
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Cathy Waters