I am considering the approval of a bump-up to 20MB for max size for attachments in JIRA. Instructions for doing so are here, but there is no contextual guidance for an acceptable range before you might experience negative results in performance:
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+File+Attachments
The reasons for doing so are that I have teams with large log files that they don't want to push into document repositories due to inconvenience and overhead of doing so. Other scenarios I could imagine would be attaching larger presentations or vids to issues.
If 10MB is the assumed sweet-spot, does anyone have anecdotal feedback on pushing past this and discovering thresholds for when performance degrades marginally (i.e. maybe 50MB - It's a bad idea to move past this) and then significantly (i.e. maybe 100MB - If you do this, you will kill your instance)? Or are there too many factors at play in individual system set-ups to make shared observations relevant?