I currently plan to move an existing Jira-Installation (7.11.1) from an old Ubuntu server to a fresh Debian-11.5 server (should be Jira-9.20). Both on-premise, both VMs in a VMware vSphere environment.
We tested this for months now and solved several issues on the way, now it's time to redo it all for the final migration.
So we have 9.2 running with the DB-content from back then .. and now we need to redo it because we need all the work done inbetween migrated as well.
For sure I browsed the docs and howtos for help, let me ask here if what I plan is the/a valid way to do this.
I plan to install 7.11 on the new server as well: migrate data and DB from old to new without any version change at first, then upgrade.
Issues here:
- postgres-13 would be the default on serverNEW, that gave me warnings in my test (because 7.x doesn't support it), but worked as far as I know
- I wonder how to handle the FQDN/URL: the URL should be kept, while the new server is named "jiratest.my.tld" .. I assume I could point the apache-rev-proxy on serverOLD to the jira-instance on serverNEW while moving etc ? Does it make sense to set up some temporary proxy BEFORE the migration? (the rev-proxies run on the instances right now)
- back then I did 2 or 3 steps in upgrading: 7.x -> 8.x -> 9.x / will check the upgrade procedure again on serverOLD asap. Maybe it's ok to do it directly, and even better
- in my test migration I "lost" the avatars. Maybe because I synced them after the upgrade run (checked forum entries etc). This time this will be one of my first checks. Right now I didn't get the avatars and icons rediscovered by jira-9.x (in my current test-VM).
- Upgrading all the addons will take quite some time
I try to prepare the new productive VM as far as possible, to minimize the migration time. I am quite sure I forgot to ask something ...
Any hints welcome here.
Thanks in advance.