We are looking to move to Jira from another ALM tool, but I'm confused about how to plan our Releases and Sprints. Maybe the community can help me understand this better.
Both Releases and Sprints use Issues (Stories, Defects, and Tasks) as their fundamental building blocks. Sub-tasks seem to be essentially "hidden" within Issues and are mostly irrelevant the Release and Sprint planning process.
We typically execute many Sprints as we march towards a given Release. Sprints are 1-2 week timeboxed periods, while Releases come a few times a year. So this adds tension since Sprints and Releases use the same fundamental building blocks, but want them to be different sizes:
- Sprints need smaller Issues so they can fit into 1 or 2 week time boxes
- Releases like larger Issues so the Release Notes avoid communicating every incremental step along the way.
Perhaps a solution would be a hierarchy, with Releases being planned at the parent level and Sprints at the child level. But Jira doesn't support planning Sprints with Sub-Tasks and Stories, Defects, and Tasks cannot have parent/child relationships...they are all siblings.
I suppose I could use Epics to plan Releases, but I tend to think of Epics as longer initiatives that span multiple Releases. If I used Epics to plan Releases, I would need to artificially carve up up Epics into smaller bite-size Epics simply to fit them into Releases.