Hi Folks,
I am trying to work out why you would use a queue versus a filter. It seems to me that I can save/customise both, but I am trying to work out the pros/cons of using one versus the other. Any guidance?
Hi Dean,
You can actually do both if you like. Create one or the other and then copy the code to create the other one. Queues are helpful because there is at least a little bit of inline editing without having to open the issue. And you can quickly access several queues in a row because they are right there in the left hand menu.
Filters are handy because they can be accessed any Jira user - not just Agents like with Queues. They can also be used for dashboard gadgets.
Hi @Dean Robinson
Are you referring to a queue within a JSM project? JSM queues are within a project and will let you define different buckets of tickets that can be monitored by various people responsible for Incidents, Urgent Incidents, Service Request etc. Yes, queues can be configured using a JQL but filters on the other hand work across Jira instance and filters can be used in Dashboards, Boards, email subscriptions. Filter can be shared with other as well.
I hope it helps.
Ravi
Yes Ravi - JSM project. That gives me a good summary of the difference between them. Appreciated.
Thanks John - that is very helpful. I am leaning towards the filters for the benefit of having broader access and I like the subscription capability for sending daily summaries out. Haven't got to setting up dashboard gadget yet, but will look into that as well. Cheers.
@John Funk Hello John,There's one thing about this I'm wondering about. As you say to Dean about filters, "They can also be used for dashboard gadgets."This kind of suggests/confirms that it isn't possible to just add a queue to a Dashboard ? (Or is it just me not knowing how to ?)So now I made a filter which is in principle just a copy of the queue I wanted to add, but that somehow feels as something functional but in a way unnecessary step, since you already had a way of presenting the same. (And it potentially adds to maintenance.)
So is there a specific reason you can't use queues in dashboards ?
Hi @[deleted] - A queue is really just a filter - is it not? So gadgets in dashboards need to be based on something and filters existed before queues did, so that seems logical.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.