We're using Jira, but I'm struggling to get it to do what I need for task management. I understand Epics, Stories, Tasks and even Sub-Tasks at a basic level, but I'm confounded by how to make these things all work together for me.
In general, I need the following:
- The ability to indicate dependencies. For example, if Task B cannot be started until Task A is completed.
- The ability to see the issues (stories, tasks, subtasks) that are available for me to work on. Using the example from the previous bullet--if Task B cannot be worked on until Task A is done--then don't show me Task B until Task A is done, or at least visually show me that Task B depends on Task A
- A view that pulls together all of the work I need to do--whether sub-tasks, tasks, or stories. For instance, sub-tasks don't show up in the backlog, which I don't understand at all.
My ultimate goals is to have some kind of view, dashboard, whatever, that pulls together all of the work that's assigned to me, allows me to sort (by whatever--rank, priority, due date) and helps me see what is actually available, meaning not blocked and not waiting for a predecessor.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
As a quick note--we are using the server version at the moment, but migrating the Jira Cloud (if it matters) over the weekend.